Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Block #11

Back to the Thread Head Quilt Along! I chose an easy one this week, as I get back into the swing of things (this is my last day of Christmas vacation)!

This one has various names - Lady of the Lake, Sawtooth....

You will need -

Background -
1 - Half of a 5+3/8" square for the center
6 - 3+1/8" squares for the half square triangles (HST)

Print (I chose 6 different prints for this) -
1 - Half of a 5+3/8" square for the center
6 - 3+1/8" squares for the half square triangles (HST)

Make the HST with the 3+1/8" squares (draw a diagonal line on a background square, layer with a print square, sew ¼" on either side of the line, cut in half on the line, press open). Trim the 16 HST units to 2+3/4".

TIP - When making HST you can cut the squares larger (in this case - 3¼" squares), and trim the HST to the correct size.

Sew the two 5+3/8" triangles together.

Trim this unit to 5".


All the units are ready to sewn together. (Make sure the HST are in the right direction - I unpicked various seams!)


For the second block I used 5 different prints and 2 background prints (I used one different 3+1/8" square of background and cut it in half along with 2 prints and 1 regular background squares before sewing, so that the HST units wouldn't have the same print and background combination).

Here is the Flickr Link to see what other members have been up to.

If you are new to the Quilt Along or considering joining there are lots of options (different layout options, applique options #1 and #2) using a couple of blocks or all of the blocks.

Recently I have seen this style of quilt on the web. All the same background fabric for the squares and the alternating squares. I really like the way the blocks seem to "pop".

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

14 comments:

Wendy said...

Cute block. I love the new look of your header, too.

-Wendy

Mrs A said...

that looks great, might have to think about joining yor quilt along!

Cyndi said...

Wonderful block, and I really like the way that quilt looks! And...I love the new look of your blog - your header is wonderful!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Linda said...

Block is really pretty! I love the new header and popular posts column. BUT what I really love and noticed right away...your picture in front of your beautiful little quilt!! Good for you, Joanne!!!! It's a beautiful photo of you!! :-)

joan said...

Oh Joanne it is gorgeosu.. I do want to make it .. I am going to finish some projects and get cracking making yours! I love it!

Karen said...

Ditto to what Linda said. Love it! ♥

joan said...

I love your profile picture. Wow!
You look as talented as you are!!!
Hugs...

Peg said...

Awww...a quilt-along that I missed!?! LOL - this looks great, but I'll wait for another, enough to do already!

jillyヅ said...

I love this block. Made it for a vintage sheet swap. Someday I would like to make a whole quilt using this block.

Love your new header and the way you highlight all your beautiful handwork.

blessings,
jilly

Deanna said...

Yes, your new header is wonderful! I like the way you "fussy cut" your projects into the shapes.

I am off to cut block 11 now. And feeling really happy about the whole project.

Thanks!

Vivian said...

I had to go back to work on the 3rd. Holiday breaks really spoil me and it's hard to go back.

Love your mug rugs.

Myra said...

Another wonderful block Joanne!!

Some of my quilting gals are following along with your BOM. They are quite taken with it... 8-)

Email coming your way...

Colleen said...

Joanne my computer was down for a few days and I just found the new blocks! Hope you have seen the pic on my blog using the first 10 blocks. I think I might space the next 10 blocks around the border alternating with the paisley and black. HMMMM lots of decisions! The Quilt Along has been very much fun! I am out of printer ink so as soon as I get cartridges I will print up 11, 12, and 13.
Colleen

Scrappy quilter said...

Another fun block. I've just about ran out of my background material so I had to skip #10 and go to #11. I'll have to stop until I get into the city on Tues.