Sunday, January 30, 2011

Alternating Blocks

Today I cut out all the pieces for the rest of the 41 Alternating Blocks needed for the queen size quilt in the Quilt Along.

I was pleased to have all the instructions online because it has been awhile since I made the first ones of these blocks.

I now have 27 blocks made, so 14 left to make, hopefully I will get them done this week (as well as a few extra because I used the whole width of the fabric).

These blocks work well together too, but I think they do a great job of setting off the scrap blocks.

I have come to the conclusion that black quilting cotton is hard to find. Last week I had trouble finding enough black for the Granny's Hankie quilt and for this one I had to use two different blacks for the diagonal squares because I couldn't find enough of one.

We braved the cold temps and played out in the snow today. It has been a long time since I have seen so much snow!

Tonight at midnight is the start of One World One Heart 2011 and I will start my giveaway tomorrow.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!

10 comments:

Mrs A said...

wow that looks great, very clever. Thats a lot of snow, i just see the swing set! i hope to join the one world one heart thingy too! Thanks Joanne!

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

Love those blocks and how nice it is to see Allie the Owl being put to good use on your sewing table! That made me smile.

Linda said...

Those blocks look great as a quilt themselves!! Very pretty! :-) You have a ton of snow! Wow. We have a lot coming in the forecast too! :-(

Country Log Cabin Quilter said...

I have about 25 of the setting blocks done and I plan to make a king size quilt, so I better get busy. I definitely have noticed that black on black is hard to find. Luckily, I had a couple yards already for this quilt along, but it's a good idea to keep an eye out for it and buy some when you see it, because shops do not keep much in stock. And it's something that it great to put in a quilt!

Karen said...

Love your blocks! I've just started on mine; only 3 done so far so lots to do yet. I love your method of doing this one though, with the strip piecing. Certainly makes it fast and fun!

Dee said...

Your setting blocks look great all on their own. It's going to be a gorgeous quilt. As for the snow, wow! I'm glad I don't have to trudge through it, but it is beautiful.

Joan said...

Looking good Joanne... that cold in the photos looks good too. I have put my blocks up on the design board - I didn realise how big the quilt was going to be..Now I can see the large amount of blocks I have yet to go.

Needled Mom said...

Those blocks look great! I decided to use the first ones that I made as setting blocks with a solid printed fabric in between. I hate to throw them out. ;)

Impera_Magna said...

The blocks are very cool... I love 'em!

Colleen said...

Joanne, I worked on my quilt for 3 days at a retreat this weekend. I added 2 more rows, made blocks 11 - 14 with several extras, made 11 more alternating blocks, had 4 left over so I added them to the corners of the 4 patch border. When I add the final border it will finish about 90" square. This has been so much fun and several people who have seen my quilt say they are starting to save their money to bid on it at the quilt auction!