Thursday, March 18, 2010

Recipe and a Contest

Yesterday I had time to make some bread (before my mother and sister arrived for their lesson). They both wanted the recipe, so I thought I would share it here too.

This is a really easy recipe that I have been making for many years, so it has been very modified over the years. The important part is the liquid, but the flour and add-ins are very flexible. Makes two loaves.

Multi-Grain Bran Bread

1/4 cup butter - melted
1 cup milk
3/4 cup water
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp salt
4 ½ cups whole wheat flour (can be half white flour) (I use Robin Hood Best for Bread Whole Wheat or Multi Grain flour)
1/2 cup bran
1 ¼ tbsp fast rising instant yeast
About 1 cup of an assortment of grains (sunflower seeds, millet, sesame seeds, cracked wheat, corn meal, uncooked Red River cereal, oats, flax seeds, etc) anything to suite your taste.
1 egg

Heat melted butter, milk, water, honey, molasses and salt to 50-55°C. In a large mixer bowl combine flour, bran, grains and yeast. Add warm liquid and with dough hook mix on low speed for a couple seconds. Add egg. Continue mixing on Speed 2 (Kitchen Aid mixer) until the bowl comes clean adding more flour as necessary. Remove from bowl and knead into a ball. Add a small amount of oil to the bowl to lightly grease the bowl and return the dough, spinning it coat. Cover.
Let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a large rectangle. Roll up from the short end, pinch the ends and fold them under, place in a greased (and lined) loaf pan. Repeat for other loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Brush milk on the top of the loaves and sprinkle with oats/sesame/flax seeds if desired. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

I also wanted to mention a blog that I have been enjoying - Down-to-Earth. Among many things, Rhonda blogs about kitchen sinks (people' s kitchens) around the world. I love to see other peoples houses. It amazes me how similar we all are!

There is a contest going on over at Fresh Cut Quilts Pattern Co, she is giving away a beautiful layer cake and two of her lovely patterns. The contest ends on Friday.

Tomorrow is the Friday Night Sew-In! I will be working on the little pinwheel quilt. Hope you will join us!

Have a great day!

3 comments:

LiahonaGirl said...

Yum -- the bread looks delish! I love whole wheat bread that is a little sweet -- the molasses and honey are a great addition. I grind my own whole wheat so will definitely try your recipe. Thanks.
Nancy

Gloria said...

Thanks for the bread recipe, Joanne! I used to make it weekly while the kids were growing. It may just inspire me to make a batch, there's nothing like a slice of warm homemade bread with butter!

Linda said...

Thank you for the recipe. I'm always looking for good whole grain recipes. Makes me hungry to look at it,
Butter anyone?
Linda