Friday, March 26, 2010

Friday Show and Tell

For this week's show and tell I decided not to show a quilt. This is a hooked rug made by my Grandmother, Gracia Bourque.

It is hooked on burlap with fabric scraps, silk stockings, wool, jute etc. I think it was made in the 1940's.
I even have hooks from my Grandmother and the advertising for the pattern.


This week has been such an unusually busy week for me away from home! Even my sister complained that I had nothing new on my blog. Hopefully next week things will be closer to normal (spring break here next week, so my youngest will be home, yeah!!).

My Pinwheels in my Garden quilt has been collecting dust next to my machine all week, waiting to be quilted!! Tomorrow!!

Have a great day and thank-you for visiting!!

4 comments:

Cyndi said...

Hi Joanne! What a treasure that hooked rug is. And to still have the ad for the pattern from so long ago is so cool! I love bits of family history like that...thanks for sharing!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Heidi said...

Hi Joanne! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I too think the situation with my tiny doll's quilt is ridiculous. You can only do so much with a postage stamp quilt so they do look like others. But I am privately enjoying it although it is a shame I cannot share it along with the little story I wrote.

That is so wonderful that you have your grandmother's hooked rug. And I love the quilt you are working on. I have a friend who only uses batiks so I need to show her this. I just love the look of it!

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Edna said...

That is a great rug! I can remember my mother working on one of those hooked rugs. It was attached to a wooden frame with thumb tacks. Not sure what ever happened to it... most likely my sisters didn't think it was worth saving as it was never completed. *sigh* Your Garden quilt is really pretty. Can't wait to see it all finished!

Gloria said...

I think it's so special to have something from your grandmother! Even the very hooks and advertisement she used!