Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Show and Tell

This weeks show and tell are my children's baby quilts.

I made this quilt in 1991 when I was pregnant with my first child. It is the second quilt I ever made. I got the pattern from a TV show. It is strip pieced and hand tied. There is no binding on it, I just folded the outer border around to the back and hand stitched it. I had a lot to learn.

I made this quilt in 1997 when I was pregnant with my second child. It is Debbie Mumm's Noah Ark fabric. It is the first "real" quilt I ever made (blocks, sashing, borders, hand quilted, binding...), I was so proud. It was the first quilt I quilted with a hoop. It is still proudly displayed on a chair in my bedroom. I used Judy Martin's "Scrap Quilts" book for most of the blocks (some I just graphed out). Both quilts are 48"x48".


When I made both quilts I just bought fabric I liked (although 19 years ago there wasn't a big choice!), I didn't know before hand if I was having girls or boys, it is funny how they both turned out "colour appropriate".

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful quilts, the cats are so cute and your first quilt is a work of art to be proud of. I started quilting when my youngest of 4 children was born. Our kids were 15, 13, and 4 yr old at the time and I was needing some ME time. That was in 1983 and Georgia Bonesteel's quilting show was on PBS early Saturday mornings. I was intrigued with her simple methods, ordered her books and took off! I quilted for about 3 yrs, then a 20 yr break---so after starting again I have missed out on so many quilt techniques, that I am learning now, but I still go back to Georgia's books and the templates I made way back then. This quilt blog site has been a wonderful way to enjoy everyones work and see your quilts.
Colleen

jilly said...

The cat quilt is so cute. And your right, 19 years ago there wasn't much choice in the way of quilt fabrics. Lots and lots of calico.

Found my first quilt...now the question is will I take a photo and post it. I looked at that quilt and thought...no way did I follow directions!! No one in their right mind would teach someone to make a quilt the way I did, LOL

Enjoy your weekend.

Blessings,
Jilly