Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pinwheels Everywhere!

Isn't it funny when you start something, you see the same thing everywhere!

Here are this weeks blocks for the Pinwheel Sampler Quilt Along. Here is the Flickr link to check out lots of other pinwheel blocks.

My MIL asked me to make her a little pad for her wheelchair. Of course I had to make a pinwheel or two..!



I used two layers of leftover wool batting. I started this yesterday and machine quilted it today. I was inspired by Diane Gaudynski's website and blog (thanks Gloria). Diane's work is absolutely amazing. She quilts on her home sewing machine.

This is the back. I tried some feathers and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be (only a 19" square quilt though!). Machine quilting is definitely something that I want to get better at.

I saw this quilt -

on A Good Yarn, as part of a block swap. There is an amazing (new to me) way these blocks are put together, shown here.

I was also watching "You've Got Mail" yesterday and Meg Ryan's character had a beautiful pinwheel quilt on her bed! Pinwheels everywhere!!

I am off to watch the Oscars now.
Have a great day!

4 comments:

Deanna said...

I'm in the pinwheel quiltalong, too. At this stage I want to make it a little bigger (twin size) and then make a twin to go in a guest room with two twin beds in it--that would be A LOT of pinwheels, don't you think?!

(To make it bigger I have been looking at pinwheel block ideas. I'll have to wait until all the blocks are presented, then pick two that haven't been used yet (Or, in a real pinch, copy or make one up)

Cindy from "It's a Sew Sew Day..." said...

Your pinwheels are gorgeous! Haven't started block 3 myself yet. Hopefully today.

It is so funny how when something catches your attention you start seeing it everywhere. When I was trying to decide on a quilting pattern for my son's shaded 9 patch, my hubby suggested fleur de lis and I didn't have a clue what that was. We stopped by Hobby Lobby one evening and he showed me one on a picture. After that I started seeing them EVERYWHERE!

I love the idea for a quilted wheelchair pad! So creative! I might use your great idea later on to use up scraps and to practice machine quilting. I can donate them to a nursing home when finished.

Happy Quilting!
Cindy

SheilaC said...

Love your pinwheels..... if you want more pinwheel ideas check out twiddletails

http://twiddletails.blogspot.com/2010/03/pinwheel-party-week-2.html

Another sew along there!

SheilaC

jilly said...

Get better at machine quilting??? Lady, I think you are already there!!!! BEAUTIFUL work!!

Blessings,
jilly