Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Catch Up

Canning season is finally wrapping up (just a few more things to make), so time for a catch up!

I finished a couple of pairs of socks-
#10 for 12 pairs of hanspun socks in 2022,
and #11. Both 2x2 ribbed socks.
My son made me a pair of sock blockers out of a piece of acrylic and the laser cutter.

I made a new pair of slippers - the pattern is the Wayfarer Shoes from Twig and Tale. Genius pattern, easy to sew (all the seams are enclosed), and really nice to wear. I made mine out of an old wool skirt that I felted, the lining is a bit of leftover quilting cotton, the sole is some moose hide with a some thick wool from an old coat for the lining. I did a bit of embroidery on the toe before sewing everything together. I have a few more pairs planned. My friend Raewyn makes the small version for her grandchildren and they are so cute!

I also made a charcuterie board for my Mom (she asked for one).
This is from a leftover thin piece of Russian Olive from when my son and I made a bench a couple of years ago. He used the laser cutter for the apple design in the corner.

I helped to roof the garage last month and loved the view of the gardens (the big cement square is the old cistern for the house water, now it collects rain water). Everything did so well this summer - we had enough rain and heat.
We had a great harvest from the vegetable garden!
We have never grown such big onions (the biggest were from seeds I had started in the house last March).
The Swiss chard was beautiful all summer (the freezer is full for winter smoothies).
Lots of produce was canned! Those shelves are 2 feet deep, and they are full - mainly tomato, and apple based products. I tried a few new things this year (caramelized onions, antipasto, apple ketchup...) that I was really happy with. For about 2 months something was canned or frozen just about every day (the freezer is full of different types of zucchini cakes). It is a lot of work, but so nice to have home made products all winter. I am sure that we eat something from the garden every day of the year (nice to remember when we are snowed in with -40 temperatures in the middle of January).

It will be nice to have time for other things now.

Photos from Around - 

That time of the year for stubble burning.

Lovely fall colours.

We went for a drive and saw this interesting old building/grain elevator(?) nearby.

A blog post isn't complete without pet pictures!

All the best!♥︎

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...