Monday, February 9, 2015

Storm at Sea Quilt Finished

I finished the Storm at Sea quilt!


This is the first proper quilt I have finished since last April! I used a walking foot to quilt simple wavy lines. It is the first time I have done this type of quilting, and I think that free motion quilting is easier.


This was a really lovely quilt to piece - I pieced it last spring. When I was quilting I was surprised how well it was pieced - if I do say so myself! The ruler for cutting the pieces worked so well - it was easy to cut and even easier to piece. I love Creative Grids rulers, this one is the Storm at Sea ruler - it really is ingenious!


This is a photo from last May, when all the individual blocks were pieced,


and this photo is how I lined up the points with a pin, to make sure they matched.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Beautiful. I really like how it turned out.

KaHolly said...

It's just lovely. I have a Storm at Sea quilt that has been hanging on the wall for years, waiting to be quilted.

Sally Hurley said...

I love how the colors shift. And I line my points the same way!

Denise said...

Wonderful quilt!!

Hannele said...

It is simply beautiful - one of my favorite blocks on the to-do-list!

Karen said...

One of my all-time favourite patterns. Beautifully done, Joanne.

Me and My Stitches said...

What a great quilt - I love how the colors switch. Nice!

Karen said...

Congrats on finishing it! It sure is a beauty! I really like those wavy, quilted lines.

CBB said...

Beautiful! Congrats. Love the colors.

ferne said...

As always, I love to check out your projects here on your blog. You do such wonderful and precise work! I love this quilt and have one partially cut out then I got frustrated with it...maybe I should check out this ruler!

Granny Anne Brown said...

So beautifully done! Love it in these colors...

Lydia Stevenson said...

I love, love your quilt. I've been fascinated by this pattern and how it creates secondary and tertiary patterns. I also like how you used colors in the quilt. Congratulations,

Quilt Rat said...

Wow, it turned out wonderfully!

Barb said...

What a fabulous SAS quilt!! I love your color choices.
I've never seen that ruler - looks interesting. I'll have to look for it!
congrats on a wonderful finish

Terri said...

I love quilts where the coloring changes... You give credence to the wind part of the storm as well as the water. Love it.
Hugs

Debra Anger said...

I bought that ruler as well and loved using it. I had done a scrappy storm as sea and there is no waste with the ruler. yours looks lovely! and same with the quilting