Wednesday, January 9, 2013

First Finishes of 2013

 I finished off a couple of projects that have been sitting around for quite a while.


A piece of tatting and an art doll. The tatting is a pattern that I have made a few times, in different weights of thread - it is such a wonderful pattern. This piece is 12" x 19".  The art doll just needed beads around the edge, she is about 6"tall.


The best finish for the new year is that we finished off a bathroom renovation. I wish I had a before picture - it was pretty sad. The bathroom needed renovating, and a little leak in the bathtub helped us make the move to renovate. I am so pleased! The only original thing is the cabinet, and we did all the work ourselves. This is our sons bathroom.

 This time last year I did some stash busting and made a string quilt, this year is starting the same way.


I cut strips for a log cabin.


Sixty 7" blocks pieced so far. I think I'll need about 150 blocks. The fabric is mostly reproduction.

I am using the Judy Martin technique from her Log Cabin Quilt Book, and it is working well.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful bathroom redo! Very pretty! LOVING the Log Cabin quilt!!! Beautiful fabrics! I cannot believe you have made 60 blocks already. I am unfamiliar with that method. I will need to look into it.

Raewyn said...

Wow, you've made a great start to the year!! Your log cabin is looking great - I need a good stash/scrap busting recipe too!!! Your tatting and bead doll look lovely - as does your bathroom - well done on getting that job done :-)

corina said...

Love your log cabin. I bought her book a few months ago and love it (but of course I haven't started anything yet). It's too funny - you post your first finish of 2013 and I posted about my first UFO of 2013!

Barb said...

Wow! love your log cabin. Looks so great and scrappy.
Your bath looks pretty. Isn't it wonderful when the redo is over and you can enjoy it?
Tatting? you are so multi-talented.

Terry said...

It is a beautiful piece of tatting, the bathroom looks wonderful, great job. And I'm loving that log cabin.

Brown Dirt Cottage said...

Looks like you are starting out the new year with some great projects!

Love the log cabin!

mysweetprairie @gmail.com said...

beautiful tatting! You are SO talented. gosh

: )
Happy New Year
~Monika

Jan said...

Wow - all the work yourselves, impressive!
The log cabin blocks are looking so pretty. Do you allow any extra on your cut pieces, or are they exactly to size?

Bree at "Bree's Way" said...

I absolutely LOVE visiting your blog, it is always an inspiration to me :)

Sue SA said...

I love log cabins and it is still on my wish list of quilts to make, particulary in reproductions...but I dont have enough fabric collected yet! Love your layout, such a lot of sewing to do, will keep you busy!
Nice to have finished the bathroom, you can cross that off your UFO list too?LOL!

sandra said...

I have just found your blog and absolutely love it!! Will be reading it a lot now.

Sandy said...

Love the tatted doily. I am a tatter also. Where did you find this pattern? I'd like to try this- looks like you can make different shapes when combining the motifs.....
Sandy

Joan said...

You are always impressive - Love how it looks - lucky recipient :)

Me and My Stitches said...

I bet it feels great to have your bathroom re-do complete! LOVE your tatted piece...oh how I want to learn that! And log cabin quilts are among my very favorite, especially with the barn raising layout - yours looks awesome!

Kindred Quilts said...

Joanne, do you ever sleep? Goodness you get a lot done! Love the delicate tatting, and the log cabin is simply grand!

Cathy said...

Your colors are beautiful. I love how the log cabin quilt is looking. Hugs

LynCC said...

What a pretty log cabin. :) I'm about to embark on a scrappy blues and whites one.

Myra said...

Love your tatting piece... Bathroom looking great! Good job you two did!
I started cutting strings for stash busting last year... guess I should get on with it!!!
Log cabin looking good!

Paul Klassen said...

There's no need to showthe before photos of your son's bathroom. Even if I don't have an idea of how it looked like, I can see that you really did great in this bathroom transformation. I like how you mixed and matched the colors. The fixtures go well with the accessories. Great job!

Paul Klassen @ The Pinnacle Group