Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Embellished Apple

I saw some beautiful pieces of embroidery that were simple shapes, wonderfully embellished, and thought that I could do the same with machine quilting.


This piece is 13" x 14".


It started with a simple invisible machine appliqué apple. The apple is 8" across.


The quilting on the apple was inspired by an old pressed back chair -

When I was given a pair of these chairs none of the detail was
 visible, it was solid paint. I was pleasantly surprised when I stripped them.




For the background I wanted to practice Cindy Needham's "Pearls and Swirls".


The quilting is with 100Wt Invisafil  thread, with a #80 Titanium needle. The batting is one layer of cotton with half a layer of wool on top.

Partridges digging for seeds
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

Quilt Rat said...

Terrific! Love the way you interpreted the design on the chair into a fabulous quilt design.

Rhonda M said...

That is really amazing. You turned a very simple piece of applique into a work of art. Gorgeous!

Terry said...

Nice job you did cleaning up that chair and the apple quilting looks beautiful

Needled Mom said...

That looks awesome and your quilting is amazing! LOVE your inspiration too.

Darlene D said...

WOW!!!!

Colleen said...

Your quilting is really beautiful. And using the chair back for inspiration was brilliant!

I have to ask, though, about your last photo. What is that? I looks like turkeys in snow caves??

Joan said...

Your apple inspiration is quite stunning Joanne - you are doing such beautiful work.

Linda said...

Stunning quilting Joanne!!! I mean stunning. Just gorgeous!

Ann J said...

Amazing quilting once again! You are very talented !!!

luv...Ann J

Kathie said...

OMG this is beautiful! wow am I ever impressed.
your machine quilting skills are amazing. just beautiful a simple apple into a masterpiece, would love to look at this everyday hanging on the wall or as a pillow would be adorable. hope your hanging this someplace to enjoy everyday. I would.
hope the partridges found food!
Kathie

pixilatedtoo said...

I have always been a looky-lou, but felt that today I just had to come out of hiding and say...

WOW!

Your work is always amazing, but this is certainly over the top.

Thanks for sharing your inspiration too. ~Lynda

Me and My Stitches said...

Wow! Beautiful quilting - it's amazing what you have done with a plain apple!

Lori S said...

Wow! From simple to amazing! Your quilting is just stunning! I like the picture of your partridges too!

Cathy said...

Wow...I mean WOW!!! You are so very talented. Hugs

Sue SA said...

yep, wow!

Karen said...

What a difference the quilting makes on the apple. It has a sort of plain look pre-quilting. After, it is gorgeous.

Myra said...

Love it Joanne!! Beautifully done!!

Carrie P. said...

so pretty. you are so talented. inspiration every where!

Bonny said...

WOW! Your quilting is gorgeous! I love your quilts!