Saturday, June 9, 2012

June's Small Quilt

I belong to a Yahoo Small Quilt group, and this is June's small quilt of the month.


The pattern is Scrap Squares from "The Civil War Sewing Circle" by Kathleen Tracy.
It was such a fun quilt to make. 32 different fabrics, plus "the shirting".


I decided to quilt it in an "X" pattern using the walking foot on the machine to keep it simple. I used a variegated Valdani thread - a 35WT hand quilting thread that I had left over from another project, because I wanted the stitching to really show, using a #90 top stitching needle. I used cotton batting, and after washing it, dried it in the dryer so that it would shrink and have an older look.
After drying the quilt is 19" x 15" (which is smaller than the pattern because I cut the shirting to the wrong size and just went with it - not too good at following patterns lately!).


Today I made this Hop To It block. Our quilting group just has one block left for this BOM.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

joan said...

I love this piece. Your work is always so beautifully done.

Betty Lou said...

Like your little quilt, perfect.

Fiesta said...

The little quilt is adorable.
I am currently working on a small one too

Lesley said...

I love your little quilt! I am two months behind in the small quilts...maybe I'll do June's before May's! Yours is so sweet!

Impera_Magna said...

What a darling quilt... and what a good way to use up fabric scraps... hmmm... it's giving me an IDEA! *lol*

Anne said...

That's so gorgeous! :o)

Karen said...

The Hip Hop block is an unusual design. I like it.

Valerie said...

Beautiful. :) My six year old daughter is sitting by me while I flip through the blogs this morning...I just had to let you know she got a good giggle from the name of your blog...Thread Head. ;)

ann hermes said...

Following the pattern is so not fun! The best discoveries in science, and quilting, are found when you don't follow the rules.

Marsha said...

Your little quilt is so cute! I have mine sandwiched and ready to quilt but it will be a while before I get to it. I have a couple of other things in the works. Making a little quilt a month is so much fun!

Barb said...

I have BIG love for you tiny quilt - so cute. The quilting looks just right.
love the applique block too, very pretty and the plume in the center is great.

Kathie said...

love the little quilt, yes I have made that one too!
should get it out, I think it needs to be quilted
Like the X in the block good idea!
love your appliqué block wow, great design
Kathie