Friday, January 6, 2012

12 Days of Christmas Quilt

I finished the 12 Days of Christmas Mini Mystery Quilt (from the Temecula Quilt Co). Such a fun, quick project to make! I looked forward to 1:18pm every day to see what kind of block would be made with another piece.


It came out to 17" x 20". I used Civil Wars Chronicles fabric by Marcus Fabrics and wool batting. 
Yes, I see the red swastika in the corner - my family wanted to know what it had to do with the 12 days of Christmas! How come I never see these things until I have attached the binding?! It would have been fine if I hadn't used two different reds for those pieces.


I free motion quilted an over all mini Baptist Fan, using Invisafil 100WT thread in the top and Aurifil 50WT thread for the bobbin, with a Microtex #80 needle.

This is the first time that I have tried a Baptist Fan. 


I drew it out on a white board first to figure out how it would go. I couldn't figure out how to travel the pattern backwards and so I quilted each row individually in all the same direction - this made the quilt a bit twisted when I finished quilting (you can probably tell in the first photo that it is not "square"). I have now washed it and re-squared it - I'll see what happens when it dries.
I love the quilting design and will have to look into different ways of creating it, I think it looks nice on mini-quilts.


I have been working on taking the paper off the string quilt - watched 2 movies and Skyped with friends and only managed to remove paper from 30 of the 120 blocks!! I am sure it will all be worth it.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

16 comments:

Linda said...

Your mini is just gorgeous, Joanne!! I live the BF quilting! Looks awesome!

Joan said...

You have been busy as usual - and it all looks lovely! I am looking forward to chatting tonight

Denise said...

Your mystery is so warm, i like your color and your quilting too, thanks for explanation!
I love string but I hate remove paper, good work on it!

Lesley said...

I love your mini-sampler...just precious and a wonderful choice for the quilting. Well done!

Sheila said...

Great little sampler, and am interested in seeing the string quilt when it is finished . Love your new header , did you do that yourself?

Betty Lou said...

Love your little mystery sampler, the fabric choices just make the quilt. I think the camera picks up things we just don't see with the naked eye. Baptist Fan has always been a favorite of mine but never realized you could machine quilt the design. Look good. Hugs

Donna said...

I love your 12 days of Christmas quilt. Civil War fabrics are some of my favorites.

Needled Mom said...

Very nice and I love the fabrics.

I'll bet you have lots of little paper pieces everywhere. Someone once told me that if you give them a spritz of water first they will come off easier.

mmquilter said...

In regards to the *swastika* block..my daughter informs me that this is the Native American symbol for Peace. If the rail fence block was on point in the square then that would then be the *swastika* symbol. I really like the quilt and the fabric selection.

Raewyn said...

Your 12 days looks wonderful all finished - the baptist fans was a great quilting idea. haave fun with those papers - you're nearly there - and you'll have a quiet quilt!

jillyヅ said...

Love how the 12 days quilt came out. I agree with mmquilter. The *swastika* symbol has been a symbol of peace. On one of the naval bases there is a group of buildings in this very shape. If you go to this link,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_use_of_the_swastika_in_the_early_20th_century

it has a lot of information on how the symbol was used and by many different countries. There is even a city with the same name in Canada.

blessings, jilly

Wendy said...

Your version of this mini is wonderful and I love the quilting.

Deanna said...

All that paper is the reason I foundation piece string blocks on very light muslin. There isn't enough television in the world to make me want to do that. You are very brave.

Cathy said...

I love your 12 Days of Christmas quilt. I have the directions but haven't started yet. Guess I better get busy...lol Have a great weekend. Hugs

Ruth said...

Love the little quilt! I'm doing it also and I think I'll try the FM BF. I've been wondering how to do it by machine and I would like to have it as an option for a bigger quilt, so trying it on this one will help me get some practice.

Donna said...

I made one also, but sashing all the way around and then a border, I was playing with the idea of Baptist fan to hand quilt, really like how yours turned out, very nice!

Donna in Oregon