Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Sewing and Knitting

I finished the Tiny Tree quilt from the Temecula Quilt Company blog.

 

For my home I thought it would work better as a Christmas cushion, so I added some pinwheel blocks to the side, and some filler strips to make a 16" square. The pinwheels were made with the same size squares as the one in the tree, but I didn't trim the half square triangles as small, so the blocks are a bit bigger.


The cushion goes really well with our Christmas quilt - which was the TQC mystery quilt from last Christmas (Secret Santa Sew Along).


I free motion quilted with 100 weight Invisafil thread.

This week I also sewed a coat for the puppy-


I used a couple of online resources to figure out how to make a coat - wikiHow for the basic shape, and this YouTube video for sewing.


This was my pattern (on 1" grid paper). After I made the first pattern I cut one out of a scrap of cotton fabric to see how it would fit, and made some adjustments to the final pattern.


Since Molly is just a puppy and has a lot of growing to do over the winter I added long strips of velcro so the coat can grow too. The outer fabric is a piece of leftover fleece from a top I had made my son when he was little (Molly is his dog), and the inner fabric is a piece of flannel leftover from a quilt backing.


We have had a cold snap this week so she is getting lots of use out of her new coat.


I finished knitting a pair of socks out of handspun yarn-


I had bought the fibre from the Manitoba Fibre Festival in September. It is Pyrocumulus Top from Cloud 9 Fiberworks, in the colour way Apocalyptic Sunset (a blend of SW Merino, Nylon and Stellina).


They are incredibly sparkly.

All the best!♥︎
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...