Monday, February 20, 2017

Spin the Bin 2017 Challenge

This year I decided to participate in something 'new-to-me' through the 'Completely Twisted and Arbitrary' group on Ravelry. It is a Spin the Bin Challenge.


This is the fibre I chose for the year. I picked out an assortment of fibre - some that I have had for a while, others that I thought would be a challenge and some that I just love to spin. There are a few rules, but basically you pick out at least twelve fibre bundles of at least 2oz to spin during the year. I also joined the 'Use It or Lose It' club, so that if fibre doesn't get spun it becomes a prize for someone that spun their whole bin (a good motivator to get everything spun).


This is all my fibre in it's bin (having a photo of the fibre in a bin gets me a free pass to exchange one of the fibres, otherwise if I take a fibre out I have to replace it with two bundles).

Here is what I have spun so far -


Tussah silk. This is the first time I have spun pure silk (it was much easier than I thought it would be, I think because it is Tussah silk it is easier than other silks to spin).


The finished skein - about 55g of fingering weight yarn.


I dyed it after spinning because I didn't know how it would be to spin if I dyed it first.


50/50 Merino and Silk. This is one that I had previously dyed.


Finished skein - about 50g of fingering weight yarn.


35/65 Silk and Superwash Merino that I had previously dyed (twice because it was too pale the first time).


The finished skeins - about 225g of sport weight yarn, enough for a short sleeve sweater.


This is an assortment of two types of silk and merino that I put together when I was getting the bin together, but I decided to add to it to spin enough for another sweater.


I also added this white flax that was already in the bin,


and added some more fibre to make a 'kitchen sink spin' (another spin along happening on Ravelry).


I dyed about half of the fibre,


divided it into two and drum carded it to make rolags (two different colours for each of the plies) - something 'new-to-me' too).


This is the yellow/green/blue fibre on the drum carder - I 'painted' the fibre on the main drum (again something 'new-to-me'). When I was dyeing I chose the colours to compliment the already dyed fibre (blue wool, black silk and blue Tencel).


The finished skeins - 429g, about 820yds of DK weight yarn,


plus a small skein made by plying with a rayon sewing thread (something else that I tried for the first time).


All the finished skeins together. I am half way through the bin, and hope to have it finished before the start of Tour de Fleece in the summer. Here is a link to my Spin the Bin on Ravelry where I go into more details.

I have been sewing too -


A few new mug rugs (more on these later in the year).


I added to my Welcome Home Mystery quilt - from Kathleen Tracy.


I have also started quilting my Westering Women quilt. I have done all the stitching in the ditch and FMQ'ed the border, now I have to decide what to quilt on the blocks.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!♥︎
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...