Friday, February 3, 2017

Circa 2016 Medallion Quilt

I finished my Circa 2016 Medallion Quilt!


The centre section was the Temecula Quilt Company's quilt-along-quilt for last year.


I added more borders to make is a bed sized quilt. It is 84"x95" (it's on a double bed).


This is quilted on my domestic sewing machine - I used a walking foot to stitch in the ditch around all the borders, and a spring action free motion foot for the rest of the quilting. I used Hobbs Tuscany Wool batting. The quilting was done with Aurifil 50wt thread, and Bottom Line 60wt thread.

It's probably just me but I always wondered how medallion quilts were made - how did quilter get the pieced borders to be the right size? Now I know all about 'Filler Borders', that is the secret to making a medallion quilt - plain fabric fills the space between the different sized pieced borders (a couple of mine are the same background fabric, and a few are a contrasting fabric). There is a bit of simple math involved in calculating the size of the filler borders.


Because the quilt is a rectangle the side filler borders are not the same size as the top/bottom filler borders.

When I was deciding on what borders to add to the quilt I chose to repeat some of the designs from the original centre section -


The Court House Steps blocks are laid out similar to the centre Hour Glass blocks-



The Sawtooth blocks are a repeat of one the centre blocks-


I had always wanted to make a Medallion Quilt, and I learned a lot with this quilt. It was a fun challenge!

I had a few more knitting finishes this week -


A hat and cowl made with yarn from Tanis Fibre Arts. The hat is a free Ravelry Pattern - Lake Reed, and the cowl was made using a cable chart from a Japanese knitting book my son brought me back from Japan.


This year my Mother and I decided to join the Tanis Fiber Arts 2017 Year in Colour Club, and this hat was the January pattern (Heira) and yarn. A quick knit with lovely merino and alpaca bulky yarn - you have to imagine that the leftover ball of yarn is a pom-pom, that I will make when I figure out exactly how to make one.

Luckily I live somewhere with 6 months of winter!


This is what is on my needles now, I am glad to be back knitting with hand spun.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!♥︎
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...