Monday, November 25, 2013

Art Quilt

I am pleased to say that I finally finished this art quilt -


I had lots of fun making it, and trying new techniques.


I painted a piece of wet fabric (with regular fabric paint) and then sprinkled salt on it.


This was how it looked when it was dry (the salt pulls the paint around into interesting patterns).


I quilted leaves and swirls in the painted area, and a 1/2" grid on the border.


I filled in the grid with different fillers. I also added beads, and a quilted leaf attached to a piece of heavy copper wire, that I hammered for texture. This piece is about 13" x 17".


This past week I dyed some wool fibre. I recently discovered a new blog - Pat's Knitting and Quilting, Pat makes the most incredible things!  I was so inspired, and I have a few ideas I want to try. I just need to finish a sweater before I get started spinning (then knitting).


I am working on the neck band, and then just the button bands left to go.

It looks like winter is here to stay!
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

SewCalGal said...

Congratulations on another finish. And, what an absolutely spectacular art quilt. I love it. You did a fantastic job. Inspirational techniques.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Sheila said...

Interesting art quilt Joanne , sounds like a fun technique. Your sweater looks very pretty too:-)

Cathy H said...

Your little quilt is beautiful.....great way to try out new techniques......

Karen said...

Very unique Joanne... Thanks for sharing!

Raewyn said...

Gosh intriguing how that salt works - it looks great, and the sprinkle of beads is a lovely touch! Pat's blog sure is cool and I cant wait to see what you do with that wool :-)

Barb said...

Your quilting adds so much interesting texture -
Beautiful sweater and yarn.
Winter sure has come to your neck of the woods

Kathy said...

Love how the salt crystals reacted with the dyes. Must try that one day. Your quilt is beautiful, the leaf and all the quilting details are amazing!

zenuwpees said...

Felicitation le quilt est magnifique et le pull aussi bonne journee Marie-Claire

Pat said...

Thank you so much Joanne :)

I'm jealous of your amazing fiber dyeing - I need to get out my dyepot!!!