Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Some Firsts!

I finished my first pair of socks that I made with my hand dyed, hand spun wool! When I first got my spinning wheel in March this was my dream (it's a simple life!).


These are toe-up socks, knit two at a time using the magic loop technique.
The wool started out as slightly felted merino/silk fibre that I had dyed. It was too hard to spin as is, so I carded it with some leftover bits of wool fibre and some nylon fibre, for added strength for socks.


These are the three bobbins before plying -


and the finished yarn -


For the heel I tried the "Toe-Up Gusseted Heel" from Maia Spins.


It worked really well. I also 'Knit 1, Slip 1' across the back of the heel, just because I like a tight heel on socks.

I have also been making jewelry, here are a few of the bracelets I have made recently -


These are wire work ones, I made the links and clasps.


The metal is coloured copper wire that I hammered - so fun!


This one is "Shaped Peyote" (from Craftsy Bead Stitching). I love beads and always wanted to try this technique. The class is wonderful, so well explained and easy to follow.


The beads are 11/0 and 15/0, round and cylinder.

a garden visitor
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!♥︎

17 comments:

Raewyn said...

Your socks are very cool - how satisfying to have done the whole process!! (Barring the sheep of course!) Love your bracelets - beautiful :-)

Wendy said...

How fun! Love those bracelets!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your spun yarn is beautiful!

zenuwpees said...

La laine ,les bas et les bijoux sont tres beau bonne journee Marie-Claire

Sharon Eshlaman said...

Your socks are wonderful! What a accomplishment.

Quiltsmiles said...

Beautiful finishes! Glad that you have followed your heart and dreams, it always makes for a better life. Jane

susan said...

Good morning Joanne! I LOVE seeing all your projects. I haven't posted any of my art quilts but I tried a few mola ideas and then I took a memory and made it into a small art quilt. I've finished an I spy quilt - Bonnie Hunter design for my 2yr old granddaughter, and now I'm making some table runners for a silent auction and gifts for friends. My next big finish will be finishing a quilt for my husband. The pattern is from Weeks Ringle and her hubby in their transparency quilt book. It'll have a water design quilted all over it.
So glad to see all your pieces! Love seeing your work. Oh and I've dyed some pieces but not with Jacquard...your work is inspirational to me!
Take care!

Barb said...

I am sooo impressed with your socks! to have literally made them from sheep to foot! The yarn is beautiful.
I also like your sock drying forms!! fun
congrats.
I have a peanut butter feeder for the woodpeckers and i love their spots and colors.

IMAQLTR2 said...

Hi Joanne! This is my first visit to your site. I am totally in love with your header, with the keepsakes on the right and your work as the backdrop and on the left, really lovely. Those socks are amazing and I love the fact you that you really began from scratch. Thanks so much for sharing!
Linda Craig
Cooks Creek, MB

Audrey said...

I am just stopping by during the Blogathon Canada though I visit your site with each posting. I thoroughly enjoy all your many talents. I would describe myself as a quilter/knitter. I have just begun to dye wool. I doubt if I will end up spinning as you have as there are just too many things I want to do with my quilting and knitting to head that direction. Who knows, maybe my direction will change in the future.

Anna McCurdy said...

great beads- I love the combo of wire and beads- yours are really lovely.
Thanks for participating in the blogathon - I will look forward to visiting you again.
Regards from Alberta,
Anna

Heather said...

Great colours for those socks. Makes me want to knit more socks even thought I don't wear them when they are finished

Will Cook for Shoes said...

love your socks!! I'm a sock knitter as well and just got my first spinning wheel! Great blog!

Jo said...

Your socks are great! To hand dye and spin your own wool is so great! I love wearing my hand knitted socks!

Debra Kay Neiman said...

New quilter from Oklahoma, USA. Glad to meet our Canadian Quilting Neighbors. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

Debra Kay Neiman said...

I love the clothes pin bag pattern (my mother-in-law is the only one in our neighborhood with a clothesline.) New quilter from Oklahoma, USA. Glad to meet our Canadian Quilting Neighbors. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

Monica said...

Beautiful yarn, Joanne! The socks came out perfectly. :)