Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Orange Whole-cloth Quilt

 I have been doing lots of free motion quilting since I took the "Design It, Quilt It" Craftsy class.


This time I wanted to see if I could make a traditional quilt design using tools that I have at home (compass, rulers...).


I used a light table to mark the design. The fabric is a bright Kona Cotton orange (it glows on the light table in the above picture).


I marked the top with a white, iron off pen from Clover. I just measured out where the feathered border was to go, the pressed creases helped with the design layout. Click on the photos to make them bigger.


The thread is a golden/orange coloured 100Wt InvisaFil, with a #80 Microtex needle in the machine.


This piece is about 24" square.


The thread came out as a beige colour in the areas with lots of quilting.
Once again the batting is a layer of cotton and half a layer of wool. Quilted on my domestic sewing machine.

Off to work on another whole-cloth - in the "quilting factory" as my family calls it!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

JoAnne said...

Hello from your newest follower! Your whole cloth quilt came out gorgeous! Great job! It is fun to meet another quilting JoAnne, (even if you spell you name wrong, ha ha--only other JoAnne's get that joke!) I'm looking forward to reading more posts.

Janet O. said...

Just gorgeous, Joanne! Makes me want to go practice feathers so that I can do something like this someday!

Sue said...

What awesome quilting on your whole cloth! Very beautiful feathers. I wish I could do this.

ferne said...

This is absolutely beautiful! Keep playing!!!

Lesley said...

Amazing quilting! You have mastered the art of machine quilting!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow Joanne, it's gorgeous!

Joan said...

Joanne, its beautiful! Good to know you have the quilting wholecloth bug. Your design, and quilting, is georgeous!

Sharon said...

Joanne,
This piece is gorgeous! I love your perfect feathers.

Joyful said...

Very nice!

Raewyn said...

Beautiful!! Awesome design - lots of gorgeous feathers - are they free-form or stencilled? Sigh - so inspiring!!

Michelle said...

Wow!
Very beautiful....

Barb said...

stunning quilting!!

jill said...

Joanne, it is simply gorgeous. I am so glad to see someone do a whole cloth quilt, as I think they are the most beautiful quilts out there.

As always, your FMQ is stunning.

blessings, jill

jill said...

Me again...I wish you lived closer. I could have you FMQ (in your spare time..hehehe) some of my 'not so pretty' quilts and then your FMQ just might make them look as stunning as yours.

It is a thought;-)

blessings, jill

GailM. said...

O.M.G!!!!!! Amazing

Ray said...

Thanks for the eye-candy AND the inspiration. This is SO BEAUTIFUL!!

Vicki W said...

Spectacular!

Carrie P. said...

stunning!