Thursday, October 25, 2012

I Think I Might Be Addicted to FMQ!

I quilted another small practice piece.


This one is 8" x 24", and the fabric is raw silk (from an old dress). These little samples are a great way to use up odd pieces of fabric and batting.

The inspiration for the design is from Diane Gaudynski's work (check out this one of her fabulous quilts from her blog - it is the same size as the orange one I just made - what incredible detail she fits in).


The only part that I marked was the outline of the vase (I drew half the design on a folded piece of paper and then cut it out - so that it would be symmetrical). I lightly traced around the design with a very fine, regular, mechanical pencil (the white pen wouldn't work and the Hera marker didn't work on the silk like it does on cotton).
All the feathers were added free hand, starting with the veins and then filling the rest in. I chose "Bump, Bump" feathers, I find that they are easier to make more flowing and "organic", than traditional feathers.


The main quilting was done with a very light brown 100Wt Invisafil thread, and the background was done with an off-white Invisafil to match the fabric.


Since this is the first time that I used a cone of thread I had to improvise with a cone holder - it worked well.


I added some "Scribbling" around the design,


and a looser background filler as it went further away from the main design.



I tried to keep the background simple so that the feathers and vase would be the focal point.



Here are all the practice pieces that I quilted this past week - 


time to go back to piecing some quilt along blocks. Although I think my husband would like me to bake - when he came home today I wanted to show him what I had made, he thought it would be a pie (is he new here!? I am too busy sewing!).

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

39 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Oh my, I'll have to stop drooling soon or hubby will think I've made a pie! Not. This is exquisite! I hope I'll get to this point one day soon.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Amazing quilting! Time well spent.....rather than baking!
LOL...is he new here ...good one!

Kathie said...

omg just beautiful! love that vase and the feathers are incredible.
great job on all of them
Kathie

Lori S said...

Your work is just beautiful!

Kathy said...

Yes Joanne I think your definitely addicted!
They are all beautiful pieces.

Kindred Quilts said...

In awe of your quilting! Just gorgeous!

Joan said...

You have surpassed yourself! That is so beautiful, and I am delighted to hear you are addicted! I knew it would happen one day :) Your work is really awesome, as is your designing!

Julie C. said...

Your quilting is absolutely beautiful, Joanne! I am inspired and just a little envious. I love Diane G. too and should be practicing like you are and definitely NOT baking pies!

Janet O. said...

I have been baking--looks like I should do more quilting, for sure. This is incredible!

Monika Kinner Whalen, Fibre / Embroidery Artist said...

WOW WOW Look at that!! I saw her book once - I'm so attracted to whole cloth quilts. JUST GORGEOUS!!

!!!!

Monika in Saskatoon

Mrs A said...

They are beautiful ! I was doing feathers yesterday, but now i think i will use your bump bump method it looks much easier, thank you!

Corina said...

Gorgeous quilting!

Ann J said...

Your quilting is beautiful, Joanne, and a pleasure to look at!
Luv......Ann J

Wendy said...

Quite lovely!

Barb said...

I'm so impressed!! your FMQ is so great! can I pin it?
Stunning piece

Ray said...

As you can tell by all the comments, I've read several of your posts at the same time. I am truly in awe!! I can stipple pretty well, and that's about it. Your work has me thinking that I should step out and practice everyday for a while on one hand, and thinking that I'll never learn how to do such beautiful work on the other. In any case, please continue to post your work. It is beautiful and amazing. Thanks for sharing!!!

historygirl said...

Great idea with the coffee cup! I've used a wine bottle as well. The spool sits nicely on the neck of the bottle!

I can't wait to give this a try!

www.crafty-canadian.blogspot.com

Doniene said...

Your FMQ is absolutely amazing!!! I'm not sure whether to be inspired or intimidated!! LOL Thanks for sharing!! I love seeing your work!!

I keep thinking about your SAL too - love those blocks - but just viewing, not sewing - too many other pressing projects!!

Blessings

CindyC said...

I love the FMQ. How awesome. You have inspired me to do more. I did just a little on one quilt, and have wanted to more. Just never dived in. Will have to now. Great work! It does look like Diane G. Be proud.

Needled Mom said...

Your FMQ is really stunning. I can see why it would be a favorite for you.

Carrie P. said...

wow! your work is amazing. thanks for sharing how you do your feathers.

Raewyn said...

Fantastic Joanne - I can see what you will be doing this winter?! I love how you have bound and finished the pieces so beautifully as well.

Sharon said...

Wow! Each piece is more beautiful that the last one. You have certainly outdone yourself with this last one. Beautiful!

Eileen said...

Joanne, Ms. Gaudynski hasn't got much on you. Your feathers are over the top gorgeous!

Mary Ann said...

I concur, Eileen! Diane Gaudynski's work is apparent in yours, but yours is equally as beautiful - fantastic work! How long have you been studying fmq? rocknquilts.blogspot.com

SewCalGal said...

My heart is beating so fast I am not sure what to do, other than admire your beautiful work long enough for it to go back to a normal beat. Absolutely beautiful Joanne.

Did you see Diane's beautiful piece that she made for the Celebrity Auction for AAQI that (Nov l-10th)? I'm confident someday you'll follow in her footsteps and soon be teaching at major shows. Great job!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

lcscottage said...

Fabulous stitching! I'm a fan of Invisifil and you have shown it off so well!

Sharon said...

OMGosh this is just beautiful......I can't stop staring you have done an awesome job..

Mary Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LindaB said...

I must say that your feathers are absolutly gorgeous! Beautiful work!

Newbie Jen said...

truly amazing!!!

Carol J said...

Joanne, your work is beautiful!! You certainly are giving us something to aspire to :-)

Martha said...

Awesome!!! Beautiful!!! Amazing!!! Wow!!! Love this!!! Your quilting is a joy to behold. I hope to be able to quilt like you... More practice for me :-)

tizart said...

Absolutely amazing!!!!! Fantastic Quilting!!! I do hope one day I can quilt like you!!!!!
Happy Quilting Liz

Lee Ann Lively said...

Beautiful Work!! You are such an inspiration to us all!

Rhonda P. said...

Gorgeous!!!

Can't Stop Stitchin said...

As always ! Fantastic work~ inspirational...
Have to say LOL when I read your closing remarks regarding husband and pie and such... you are also quite funny.
Godspeed, mary

Patti said...

Absolutely lovely!

Connie said...

Your work is absolutely beautiful!