Sunday, August 1, 2021

Day 1 - Weaving

Over the past 2 months I have woven a few things.


The first started out as fabric for a ruana, but once the fabric came off the loom I decided against that.


It is about 4 yards of 22" wide fabric.


The warp is all leftover handspun, in shades of purple, blue, pink and red.


The weft is a commercial lace weight 100% Merino yarn, that I dyed shades of pink and purple.
There is also little pieces of handspun in the weft too.
I don't know what I will sew with it, but it is nice fabric.


The next thing was on new-to-me loom that I bought back in December, but due to COVID just received last month (it was in a neighbouring province).
The loom is an 8-shaft Mighty Wolf loom by Schacht, with 36" weaving width (about 14 years old).
(My old loom is a 4-shaft Nilus by Leclerc, with a 27" weaving width - about 60 years old.)


Tea towels from a pattern from the May/June 2020 issue of Handwoven magazine (North Light Meets Southwest Dish Towels, p26). In 2/8 cotton.
Putting on a striped warp really helped to make sure all 8 shafts were threaded properly.


I had added a bit of extra warp to try out something different. With the leftover I tried a tie-up and treadling pattern from the book '8-Shaft Patterns' by Carol Strickler (#315-4, p85). It ended up being big enough for another tea towel.


Fresh off the loom.


Hemmed and finished towels.


For one of the towels I used some leftover cotton boucle for the weft, and am really happy with how it turned out.


On the loom now is the start of a table runner (or maybe it will end up something different). With commercial fingering weight wool for the warp and tabby weft, and handspun for the pattern weft.

All the best!♥︎

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...