Thursday, August 18, 2016

Recent Projects

Once again I have been catching up with quilt along blocks -


these are June and July's Westering Women blocks from Civil War Quilts blog.


I really have enjoyed making these blocks - they are big (12"), which makes a nice change, only one a month, not too hard to catch up on after a two month break from sewing, and it seems that one month is easy and the next a bit tricker, so it is a nice balance.


These are my Circa 2016 blocks for last week, 3 this time.

This is a knitting project I recently finished -


I can't seem to resist knitting lace! This one is knit with commercially hand dyed yarn that I bought in Montreal - WalkCollection Luxe Light in South Sea Pearl - alpaca, silk and cashmere - so light and soft!


The pattern is Arietta by Åsa Tricosa. It was lovely to knit, but did take a bit of concentration. More details can be found on my project page on Ravelry.

Now on my needles I have a couple of projects using yarn that I spun during Tour de Fleece-


I don't need any more scarves, but they are so much fun to knit. This one is a lovely easy knit, perfect for a car trip,


and this one is a bit fiddlier with all the picked up stitches, but so interesting. It is from the Summer issue of Spin Off magazine and something I had never tried before, so I couldn't resist. The fibre was divided in half and spun in two different ways.


This fibre is one that I won during Tour de Fleece. It is a silk and merino blend, dyed in the most beautiful colour way. I am so used to spinning fleece that I have dyed, and even though I dye them different colours, they are always pretty similar, so this was a nice change.


I spun it into a lace weight, gradient yarn (about 800m, and 107g).


In real life the colours are truly magnificent.


Since I always end my blog posts with a garden/nature picture I thought I would add this picture of my old bike that I spray painted silver - my family thought it was a bit odd, so I called it the Tin Man's bike and added a couple of bricks that I painted yellow - my family thought this was even odder!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

4 comments:

Sally Hurley said...

That lacy shawl is beautiful. The blocks are great. Love the color of your latest yarn. And the silver bike made me chuckle. Good stuff!

QuiltShopGal said...

Fun post. I absolutely love your Tin Man's bike. Way cool.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Sue SA said...

Love the scarves, while spring is slowly starting here, it is still scarf weather. I am sure you will wear them all in a few months time!

KaHolly said...

Such a full of fun post! Your blocks are beautiful, your shawl, stunning! And that yarn! Wow! Love the bike display. Very, very clever!