Friday, December 11, 2015

One More and Some Finishes


One more block added to the growing pile of tiny blocks.


I finished the sweater I knitted from yarn I spun this summer. The yarn is 100% natural merino, that I chain plied (4 ply yarn), about dk/worsted weight. It is knit top-down with raglan sleeves - I made up the pattern as I went along (I had a basic idea in my head of what I wanted when I started).
This is the easiest type of sweater to make without a pattern because you start by make a swatch to determine the number of stitches per inch, and then all I did was measure how big around the neck I wanted the sweater to start out at - this determines the number of stitches to cast on (81 for this sweater). More details/photos can be found on my Ravelry project page.


Now I have started knitting a pair of socks. The pattern is Elm. I am using my favourite sock yarn - Blue Label by Tanis Fiber Arts in the colour Atlantic (these are the most amazing hand dyed yarns!).


Here is another finish, a couple of pillowcases for Christmas (I hope my sons don't see this, but I am pretty sure they don't read my blog!). A couple of years ago, for Christmas, I made my sons (young men) pillowcases, at the time I thought they just accept that their mother makes things (i.e. not much excitement), but recently when their pillowcases were beyond repair and I got rid of them, they both, independently of one another, asked me what had happened to their pillowcases - words like 'loved' and 'favourite' were used!! That was all I needed to hear, and I was off to the fabric store in search of novelty fabric (hard to choose!).
Here is the link for the pattern I used.


I thought it was interesting how the rabbit was digging in the snow for the seeds.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!♥︎

7 comments:

Quilt Rat said...

Wow!!!! love the way that sweater turned out...I am especially impressed that you "made It up" as you went along LOVE the cables! After completing my first top down sweater I am spoiled....I only want to knit top down now....the extra bonus is that it can be put on waste yarn and tried on as you work...no more too big or too small projects!!! Oh AND you spun your own wool...Amazing!!!

Tricia Benes said...

Which pillowcase pattern did you use? I need to get some of those done too....

treadle1950@gmail.com

Karen said...

I love your wee blocks. I hope to make them after Christmas.
Your sweater is amazing! I love everything about it. It fits you so well and looks so warm and soft; very flattering!(checked out Ravelry). Congrats on a wonderful finish.
That's so sweet that your boys loved their pillowcases.

Sue SA said...

so nice to know your "boys" still like home made pillow cases. i am loving the tiny blocks.

Brenda said...

Glad to hear your sons appreciate your handmade efforts. My sons each have a stack too and use them regularly. its fun to see chess pieces and pizza and star wars on their beds.

Cricket-bug Corner said...

Love the little blocks! and the bunny!

zenuwpees said...

Tout est très beau Marie-Claire