Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Week in Review

This past week I free motion quilted a quilt for a friend.


It is beautiful, and so well made. It is a queen size quilt. The batting is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 cotton/polyester, which is really nice to quilt on a DSM. I started by quilting in the ditch, with a walking foot, on both sides of the small border.


She let me quilt it however I wanted to! So I chose hooked feathers for the border, I find them to be more "casual" feathers than traditional feathers, and perfect for large borders (this was about an 8" border). 


Plus allover swirls and dragonflies for the body of the quilt.


The dragonflies were inspired by this fabric. Thanks for letting me quilt it J!


I also spent a few hours last week shovelling, hopefully that will be it for this winter.


Inside it looks more like spring.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Needled Mom said...

What a pretty quilt and you made it even more so with that beautiful quilting.

The indoor spring looks much more interesting than the outside winter.

Janet O. said...

Great dragonfly quilting. Did you freehand those or use a stencil?
Love the little blooming violets. : )

Kindred Quilts said...

I bet it's fun when you are told to free motion quilt in whatever pattern you decide! It's beautiful! I'm jealous of your African Violets... so pretty!

Joan said...

Lovely Joanne :)

Ruth said...

I love the dragonflies you quilted! Yesterday I went to my LQS and since they are kind of the headquarters for the local quilters guild I decided to pick up a donation quilt top that someone else had put together, but that needed quilting. The quilt is similar to the one you quilted, though probably not as big. I think I might try the dragonfly design. This quilt will be donated to the children's hospital for a teenager. It doesn't look to hard to FMQ the dragonfly, is it?

Raewyn said...

Lovely quilt - and colours in it - and I like how you have finished it off for your friend. You must get good workouts with all that shovelling?!