Saturday, March 16, 2013

Celebrating International Quilting Day

Today is International Quilting Day, and I celebrating by making my March blocks for a block of the month that I am doing with my online quilt group.


Here are all the blocks so far (we started this BOM in January, with one pieced and one appliqué block a month) -


The pattern is 'Pieces of Time' from Lori Smith. I am using Laundry Basket Quilts fabrics (Dancing in the Rain).

I have plans to make a whole cloth quilt, and before I order some thread, I wanted to compare some different weights of threads that I had to choose from.


I free motion quilted with 100Wt (InvisaFil), 60Wt (The Bottom Line) and 50Wt (Aurifil), using wool batting and plain cotton, like the quilt I am planning. Normally I like the look of 100Wt thread, but because the quilt will be a bed quilt, I am planning on using 60Wt thread. I was surprised that they all looked fine, and that the back tracking wasn't too visible.


I had to include a picture from our little town, we are still waiting for the snow to melt here.

Happy Quilting Day and thanks for stopping by!!

6 comments:

ANudge said...

Oh, good, someone who has used Invisifil. Joanne, what size needle do you use with it? It keeps shredding as I use it. Changed needle and still does it.
Love your blocks - wish I had time to add another project to the ones I already have.

Sue said...

Those blocks are really lovely. I just love Lori Smith's quilt patterns and have a bunch of them.

Your quilting is really beautiful.

Heather said...

That BOM sounds unique with both pieced and appliqued blocks. Will have to look up the designer.

Debbie said...

Beautiful blocks, and wonderful feathers you have done. Quilt should be fabulous.

Carolyn Sullivan said...

Beautifula s usual. I worked on making a kids quilt. I have 4 granddaughteers approximatly 6&10 so they are all going to be similar. i followed the pattern for the Flying geese blocks, but I think I'm going to switch to Bonnie Hunters instructions for her flying geese. I think it uses less fabric, I can make it more scrappy, and use some neutrals to make those geese POP!

SewCalGal said...

Beautiful blocks. I also enjoyed seeing you use different threads to decide which to use in making a whole cloth quilt.

I thought of you while I quilted in my little sewing room. What a great day we all had celebrating International Quilting Day through our virtual Sew-cial.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com