Monday, December 31, 2012

A Year in Review

I always think it is fun to look back at the year and to plan for the next year.

I started blogging January 1st, 2010, and it has been a great experience, and I have made some wonderful friends. 2010 was really about blogging and creating. I learned how to free motion quilt designs other than the basics, and I was also thrilled to learn invisible machine appliqué. 

2011 became the year of block of the month. I participated in four!


this one was finished this year.






Henrietta Whiskers by Bunny Hill Design
finished 2011










finished December 2011




"Hop to It" by Edyta Sitar
This was started in 2010 and finished August 2012. It is from the book "Hop to It" by Edyta Sitar. It was done as a BOM with a few friends. We are starting another BOM in 2013 - Pieces of Time by Lori Smith.





2012

This past year seemed to be all about little quilts.

Some of the little quilts from this year.

These ones are from Kathleen Tracy patterns, and were made as part of her Small Quilt Group.

I sent these eleven little quilts to the Alzheimer Art Quilt Initiative.
So far ten have sold and raised more than $550 (US).

I even hosted a small quilt quilt-along! This one was my Friendship Mini Sampler Quilt Along.

This past year I have worked on getting better at free motion quilting (and even started teaching FMQ!) - that is the reason for all the little quilts, they are fabulous to practice FMQ on.



I also bought a Cindy Needham Craftsy Class, which I loved!

Here are some of my practices pieces after the class - yes, more mini quilts!

I did complete 9 bed/lap quilts (all my 2012 finishes are here).


I had an amazing year with lots of new experiences. 

2013
Along with a few large quilts, my plan for the new year is to create art quilts using different techniques. I am planning on creating one art quilt a month, reflecting that month (all the same size) and binding them into a "book" at the end of the year - I will see how it goes!

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful new year!!

19 comments:

Lesley said...

Wow! What a creative and successful year you have had. I really enjoy reading your blog to see what you have been up to. Happy New Year!

Missie of Hallbrook Designs said...

You know I have enjoyed your blog and our little conversations! Thanks for the inspiration and I look forward to getting to know you better this coming year! happy New Year!

Me and My Stitches said...

I would say you have had a very productive year! All so beautiful, from small to large. I am still so in love with your TH QAL quilt. I am hoping to make quilts for AAQI this year as well - my biggest issue is the quilting. I do not machine quilt, and don't have a lot of time for hand quilting, but I really want to get involved with AAQI!

YankeeQuilter said...

Your free motion quilting certainly has become wonderful in the past year! Congrats on a really productive and creative year...

Carrie P. said...

Amazing! your creations are fabulous. Love all those mini quilts.
Have a great new year learning new techniques.

Janet O. said...

You have had an incredibly productive year. Love your minis, and your QAL quilt is gorgeous! Good for you on the AAQI quilts!

Nicole Beadwright Campanella said...

You have created some beautiful quilts.
Happy New Year to you and your family
Nicole/Beadwright

Needled Mom said...

You did have an amazing year! It is so fun to see all of the finishes together.

Many blessings for a wonderful new year.

Joan said...

Your creations are so beautiful. May you have a happy and peaceful New year.

Karen said...

All your work is amazing, Joanne! I really don't know how you get it all done. Thank you for inspiring us all through out the year. All the best in 2013!

Anna said...

⋰) Jeszcze chwila
(.•´`*.✬⋰ jeszcze krok
*.*✬⋰´¨) i nadejdzie NOWY ROK
.•´,•*´¨)¸.•*¨)✬⋰ 2 0 1 3
¸.•´¸✬⋰.•*´¨)✬⋰
(¸✬⋰.•´ (¸.•` * ¸.✬⋰•´¸.•*´¨)✬⋰
......\~~~~~/.....\~~~~~/
.......\~~~~/.......\~~~~/
........\~~~/.........\~~~/
.........\~~/...........\~~/
..........\~/.............\~/
...........||...............||
...........||...............||
...........||...............||
......./****\........../ ****\.
✬⋰✬⋰✬⋰✬⋰✬⋰✬⋰✬⋰✬⋰


WIĘC
WZNOSZĘ TOAST;
____ ZA PRZYJAŹŃ!
____ZA ZDROWIE!
____ZA MARZENIA!
____ZA NADCHODZĄCY NOWY ROK 2013!!

Soph said...

Happy New Year!!
I'm sure you'll achieve your goal :-)
Thank you for all your help with the quilt along.
All the very best to you and your family.

Regards
Sophie, Down Under.

Supergoof said...

Heel veel GELUK in 2013 from The Netherlands!!
:o)

susan said...

I love your goal of creating one art quilt a month. Your goal sounds like mine. :o) Never thought about putting them into a book. Would you share more details? I'd like follow along if I may.

Kindred Quilts said...

What fun to see your 2012 accomplishments. Your FMQ is just spectacular! I started blogging this past July and I was lucky enough to find your blog in September. I joined your THQA (my very first blogging group project!) and thoroughly enjoyed making the blocks every week. I learned a lot by participating. Thank you so much Joanne!

Raewyn said...

Happy New Year, Joanne. It's interesting to look back and review what you have achieved - a fabulous assortment of goodies!!! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Eileen said...

Joanne, your posts are an inspiration to me! I look forward to each and every one. Thank you for sharing some slices of your life.
Have a happy and healthy New Year!

Barb said...

Thanks for the review! Wow, you really accomplished a lot this year.
I love all our little quilts.
Looking forward to 2013 with you

Karen said...

Joanne -- thanks for taking the time to review with us! You're work is amazing. Appreciate that you take the time to share and keep us inspired!

Karen