Thursday, October 6, 2016

Can't Avoid the Y-Seams/Conquering the Y-Seams!

When I first saw the September Westering Women block, I was looking for an alternative block like last month that omitted the Y-seams, but no luck!


I am so pleased to say that after sewing twelve (12!) Y-seams I think I have finally conquered my fear of Y-seams. I am really pleased with how this block turned out. It is a 12" block called Sage Bud.


I have learned that marking, and careful sewing from the 1/4" mark are the secrets to Y-seams. I recently saw on a Craftsy class that a little piece of sandpaper under the fabric helps with marking, and it did.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I have been looking for an alternative too . I did find the block in quilters cache but it is 18" , not use I am able to downsize it . May have to try those y seams šŸ¤
Your block is lovely !

Sally Hurley said...

Looks terrific!

Caroline Heinrichs said...

I too had a fear of "Y" seams and I learned how with hand stitching from Suzuko Koseki with her book " Playful Patchwork."

Your version of the "Sagebrush Bud Block" looks lovely!

Are you planning on doing more?

I'm slowly working through her book and would recommend it.

All the best,

Caroline

Summer said...

Looks so pretty ♥ Happy Tuesday ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com