Sunday, April 13, 2014

Quilting Weekend

My online quilting group had our first cyber retreat weekend! We spent the weekend together, thanks to Skype, and three of us made the same little quilt.

outside on the snow for Raewyn
The pattern is Square Dance from the book 'Fat Quarter Quilting' by Lori Smith (if you click on the book picture in the link, you can see all the quilts in the book). The book is one of my favourites - I have made 5 of the quilts, the most patterns I have used from a book.


I made a few modifications - I used a different bird pattern from the book and I changed the 'X' flowers to circles; I also have the appliqué going over the blocks. The appliqué is 'Invisible Machine Appliqué'.


I used a layer of cotton batting, with half a layer of wool batting on the top for the batting - this works great for wall hangings (it has a good weight and lays flat) and it shows the quilting off nicely. All the quilting was stitched with 100Wt thread and a #80 Microtex needle. The quilt is 16" x 20".

Thanks for the wonderful weekend Joan, Raewyn and Wendy!

This next spinning project is from March, I just forgot to show it -


100% super wash BFL fibre - the March Fibre from SweetGeorgia Yarns.


This is the first time I have spun complete skeins of Chain Plied yarn - this makes a three ply yarn the keeps the colours from getting mixed up.


More details can be found on my Ravelry page.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...