Monday, September 30, 2013

Back from a Break

I took a "blogger break" for what I thought would be a month and it turned into two months. Thanks to those who wrote and asked me how I was doing. Everything is fine, I just felt that I was wasting too much time on the computer.

I had a wonderful summer and here are some things that I accomplished -

I made myself a robe/housecoat with fabric I bought in Hawaii (less than $20 for 4yards for beautiful cotton!) last Christmas -


I rarely make practical things, so I was thrilled with this. I also made my husband some pyjamas since I was on a roll (no pictures, and not in bright floral fabric, but maybe next time!).

I made some more runners for shelves in my sewing room -


This one is made with little thimbles (about 1") cut from some left over fabric from a quilt I made last year. It was a leader-ender project.


This one was just to practice free motion quilting. They are both about 8" x 26".

Here they are on the shelves -


Can you tell I am running out of ways to use quilts!

I taught a Invisible Machine Appliqué class this summer, and this is what I designed for the class -


It is about 10" x 16". Everyone did wonderfully, and it was lots of fun for me!

I needed to replace some worn cushion covers and I designed another appliqué block -



The fabric I used had a paisley design, so I incorporated that into the appliqué design and the free motion quilting.


I left the appliqué and the borders puffy to accentuate them (it was so tempting to quilt a feather border, although they are only 2" borders, but I wanted to see what it would look like un-quilted, and I am pleased with the results).


I made a coordinating pieced block for the second cushion. This 12" block is "Sea Breeze" from the book 'Knockout Blocks and Sampler Quilts' by Judy Martin.


They are 16" cushions.

I have also been knitting with yarn that I spun -


This one from a pattern - "Lazy Katy" by Brigit Freyer. The yarn is from Merino Silk fibre from SweetGeorgia Yarn, in the colour way 'Maple'.


This scarf is made with Merino (from a good friend) that I dyed (it is spun about a worsted weight, and came out so soft and squishy). The pattern is 'Undulating Scarf' from a 2010 Spin Off magazine, and it is also available free on Ravelry. It is a wonderful pattern because the scarf is reversible. I changed the centre double increase because I couldn't figure out how to make the one described in the pattern (I did 'K1, YO, K1' all in the same stitch).

The next two shawlettes are ones that I designed after taking a couple of Craftsy classes (Lace Shawl Design and Shawlscapes) -


This is a lace one made from Kid Mohair that I bought while on holiday this summer (we went to where we used to live in Alberta and I went back to my old local yarn store - it was so nice!).


It is the first time I have spun mohair and it was lovely to spin.


This one I wanted to be more free form, and I made it up as I knitted, which was fun (this is inspired by the Shawlscapes class). I also spun the yarn without much thought and just enjoyed the process, and it came out really nice too. This is BFL from SGY in the colour way 'Chai Spice'

I completed some Blocks of the Month -

 
The August block for the Ostrich BOM, a Dresden Plate (this is an 18" block),

 
and 9-Patches for September (4.5" blocks).


My Pieces of Time BOM blocks for September (we took August off).

Whew!!

Thank-you so much for stopping by and have a great day!!

15 comments:

Karen said...

Welcome back Joanne! You have been missed! It sounds like you have been very busy And worked on some beautiful projects! As always I love your FMQ feathers - just stunning. Your new pillow designs are very nice and look perfect together. Welcome back to blog land! Karen

Terry said...

Boy have you been busy! Spinning your own yarn, doing your own FMQ which is beautiful, and all those projects done! I'm impressed. Love the cabinet by the way.

Rosa said...

You have been very busy and there are many goodies,Welcome back!!

Rosa said...

You have been very busy and there are many goodies,Welcome back!!

SewCalGal said...

Hey, I also took a break this summer. But I don't think I was as productive as you were.

Love, love, love all your projects but totally drooling over your FMQ table runner. Did I say drooling. DROOLING. It is inspirational. I so want one like it. Great job. And definitely worth a blogger break.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Sharon Eshlaman said...

It's good to hear from you again. Don't stay away so long. Your blog is great and I really missed it.

zenuwpees said...

Merci de partager avec nous les belles foto des magnifique ouvrages bonne soiree Marie-Claire

Mosaic Magpie said...

No wonder you took a blogging break! You had no time to blog while being so busy making all these lovely creations. The orange scarf is beautiful!

Deb

Barb said...

welcome back!
looks like you've had a really great break and have so many wonderful projects.
The shelve lining quilts are wonderful and look great.
Pretty pillows and knitting!

Greta said...

Welcome Back! I love the shelf liner quilts. I may have to borrow that idea for a corner cabinet in my studio!

GailM. said...

yippee, welcome back. I can't believe all the work you got done. Nice housecoat. And that lazy scarf is just sweet. Oh my, you must never sit idle!!

I'm taking a little blogging break too. I'm not sewing anything new right now. I'm painting my kitchen. Whew, now that's a lot of work.

Joan said...

Oh WOW - I am so impressed with all you have done!! AND its all so beautiful. I don't know how you keep up your momentum! Lovey to see what you have been up to...Lotsaluv.. :

Kindred Quilts said...

Wow, if taking two months off from blogging yields projects like these, it may become contageous in blogland! LOVE the mini quilts on your shelves, and your knit items are lovely!

Raewyn said...

Well you sure got plenty done while you stayed away from the computer!!! A wonderful array of projects!

Myra said...

Beautiful shawls/scarves Joanne!! You are such a talented lady!!