Saturday, July 13, 2013

Tour de Fleece

This month I am participating in an online spinning challenge called Tour de Fleece (it runs the same time as the Tour de France, but a different kind of spinning - I am amazed how many people are participating, every day there are about a thousand posts/pictures on the main thread - we can each post one per day, and there are over 7000 members in the group). 

So I have been spinning everyday for the past two weeks, this is what I have done so far (all 100 gram bundles) -


This is a 75% super wash wool/25% nylon blend for socks that I dyed (after spinning the first bobbin, I re-dyed the second half darker, because I thought it was too light).


I really had to concentrate on spinning even for this skein, which is still a challenge for me.


This is bluefaced leicester wool from SweetGeorgia Yarns in Vancouver.


I didn't stress about spinning this, and it came out to be the thinnest yarn I have ever spun - a lace weight. I really enjoyed spinning this one (BFL is a great fibre to spin). I did "Fractal Spinning" - it will show when it is knitted.


Now I am working on these bundles of Merino wool that I dyed to coordinate with each other.


This will be a thicker yarn. I will ply the two separate colours together.


I dyed some more fibre yesterday - so much fun!

This is such a great challenge, and I will have all kinds of knitting projects lined up for the fall!

Hopefully fall is a long way off, because I have been enjoying summer!


We took out more grass this year, but this time added mulch and trees.


The vegetable garden that went in so late is doing well.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Sue SA said...

How long does it take to spin the yarn? Your hand dyed wool looks great. Your veggie patch looks very productive.

Raewyn said...

Your gardens look so beautiful Joanne - as does your hand-dyes...ohhlalalala

Monika Kinner-Whalen said...

WOW! I can't get over all those lovely fibres! mmmmmm

~Monika in Saskatoon

Me and My Stitches said...

Wow - these are all just beautiful. I can't believe how many different talents you have!

Andrea said...

Lovely Joanne - its lovely to be back on line :) and to see what you are up to.

Andrea said...

I am not sure how she has done this, but it is actually Joan not Andrea :) Will sort if after this.

sillyewe said...


Beautiful yarns! And quilts....you are a woman after my own heart. :0)

onlinephduk said...

Wow the colours of the wool shown here is amazing. It is very bright and pretty. The pinks and purples just jump off your blog. It seems like you have been enjoying dyeing the fibers. Also, it is great to see that you are also getting out and enjoying the summer heat.


Please Visit my website : Split-Site PhD