Tuesday, July 31, 2012

July's FMQ Challenge


I finally got around to this month's Free Motion Quilting Challenge (nothing like waiting until the last moment - I did finish it yesterday though!).


I really liked this month's design from Angela Walters.


Half of the 8" x 16" block on my sampler quilt I filled the tiles with different fillers,


the other half I tried irregular tiles and the same fillers.


This is my sampler quilt to far. Hard to believe that there are only 5 more areas to quilt. It has been a fabulous challenge - thanks SewCalGal!!


I have always had bobbin tension problems when quilting - when the bobbin starts to get low on thread, and I quilt too fast. It was recommended that I try a "Single Hole Throat Plate" on my sewing machine. I can't believe the difference it has made. I have quilted a few quilts recently with no tension problems. I have been using it for piecing too, with success. I highly recommend it, if you can get one for your machine.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

7 comments:

Carrie P. said...

Well, you got it done and it looks great.

Joan said...

Well Done Joanne! I have stopped using my sngle holed throat plate, I I keep breaking needles when I hold the top thread to bring the bobbin thread up! Hope to get some sewing done today....Hope is the word :)

June D said...

How nice that you are putting the designs all in one quilt! Looks very nice.

Janet O. said...

Your quilting looks great! I like the quilt sampler you put together for the challenge. Great idea.
I used a single hole plate for my FMQ, too, and it solved my tension issues. I don't leave it there for piecing, though. After sad experience--I forgot to switch it out when I was sewing down a binding with a zig-zag stitch. The awful noise as the needle broke scared me! : )

Sheila said...

Looks fabulous as always !

Raewyn said...

It looks great - I thought this would be an interesting one to do as well (actually they all are!!)The sampler quilt is looking good, it was a great idea to make these. I haven't got to town to ask about the single hole plate yet but will do so....

Karen said...

I never would have thought of changing throat plates. Thanks for the tip.