Sunday, July 28, 2013

July Roundup

This month I managed to finally finish the Rob-Peter-to-Pay-Paul quilt top (Yeah!!).


It is 56"x70". It will stay a top until I am ready to quilt it in the fall.

I spun everyday for 24 days (and then cleaned my spinning wheel and put it away for a while).


This is all that I spun during the 2013 Tour de Fleece - 600g of yarn in total. The brown yarn was fibre from SweetGeorgia yarns, and the rest are my hand dyed fibres. Now I have some knitting projects lined up!

Speaking of knitting, I finished up two pairs of socks this weekend.


The blue ones are my first pair of toe up socks (the pattern can be found here). The grey ones are the July 2013 Mock (mystery socks), from the Ravelry group Sock Knitters Anonymous.

I finished my Blocks of the Month this weekend too -



Pieces of Time BOM blocks.


Ostrich BOM - this month "Seminole" was chosen.


Art Quilt of the Month - the piece of fabric was cut from a piece of sun printing I did last week (it didn't quite work like I thought it would, I think it was too hot and dried too quickly). The quilting is a spinning design, since I did so much spinning this month. I added a painted sun after it was quilted, just to represent summer (it is in contrast to my January art quilt which represents a blizzard).


Last week I spent some time at my parents home, and only went down to the lake once (we were busy working).

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, July 13, 2013

Tour de Fleece

This month I am participating in an online spinning challenge called Tour de Fleece (it runs the same time as the Tour de France, but a different kind of spinning - I am amazed how many people are participating, every day there are about a thousand posts/pictures on the main thread - we can each post one per day, and there are over 7000 members in the group). 

So I have been spinning everyday for the past two weeks, this is what I have done so far (all 100 gram bundles) -


This is a 75% super wash wool/25% nylon blend for socks that I dyed (after spinning the first bobbin, I re-dyed the second half darker, because I thought it was too light).


I really had to concentrate on spinning even for this skein, which is still a challenge for me.


This is bluefaced leicester wool from SweetGeorgia Yarns in Vancouver.


I didn't stress about spinning this, and it came out to be the thinnest yarn I have ever spun - a lace weight. I really enjoyed spinning this one (BFL is a great fibre to spin). I did "Fractal Spinning" - it will show when it is knitted.


Now I am working on these bundles of Merino wool that I dyed to coordinate with each other.


This will be a thicker yarn. I will ply the two separate colours together.


I dyed some more fibre yesterday - so much fun!

This is such a great challenge, and I will have all kinds of knitting projects lined up for the fall!

Hopefully fall is a long way off, because I have been enjoying summer!


We took out more grass this year, but this time added mulch and trees.


The vegetable garden that went in so late is doing well.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!